Ken Hammond reprised the global situation: the predicament of mankind.
Main points covered were:
- Population: how many is too many?
- Agriculture: can it feed all those in need?
- Energy: the current dilemma.
- Natural resources: for how long?
- Water: quality and quantity.
- Pollution: garbage and toxic waste
- Spaceship Earth: the global ecosystem.
- Society and decisions-making: needs and wants.
- Values, attitudes, behaviour, morals.
If we are not committed to our survival, who will be?
Our only hope lies with immediate and enduring change in human attitudes and values.
[Interestingly, though acid rain and ozone depletion (two problems we eventually got under control), climate change was not mentioned in the article. Ed.]