June 20, 2017
Dr. Peter G. Brown
I am delighted to inform you that the Board of the U.S. Society for Ecological Economics has selected you for the 2017 Herman Daly Award for outstanding contributions to ecological economics.
The Herman Daly Award was established in 2003 in honor of one of the visionaries and founders of ecological economics, Herman Daly. The award is designed to recognize outstanding contributions to the field, and acknowledges individuals who have connected ecological economic thinking to practical applications and solutions that are sustainable in scale, equitable in distribution, and efficient in allocation. The award criteria include the following:
- made visionary contributions to the field of ecological economics
- connected ecological economic thinking to practical applications
- created conceptual frameworks and practical solutions to sustainability challenges
- identified policies and processes that advance social and environmental sustainability
- advanced the recognition of scale as an essential part of sustainability
- advanced distributive justice and social consciousness as an essential part of sustainability
- contributed to conservation and the just allocation of resources
The award is based on nominations by members of the Society. The nomination for you included the following:
His intellectual contributions have ranged from environmental ethics to practical proposals for trusteeship institutions. As a teacher he has inspired many students, at University of Maryland, at McGill, and all over the world through his writings. In addition Peter has been an entrepreneur in founding university programs that embrace and encourage ecological economics, most notably and recently the Economics for the Anthropocene program uniting the efforts of McGill, York, and University of Vermont. And in his spare time, in addition to nurturing students and protecting colleagues, he has planted many thousands of trees!
The award will be presented at the 9th annual conference of the Society, held at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota from June 25-28, 2017. Once again, my warmest congratulations,
Jonathan M. Harris
President, U.S. Society for Ecological Economics.